The garden has been struggling this year, as have I (hence, my lack of posts lately). The tomatoes got early blight thanks to the wet, cool June that we had. So much for canning sauce this year. The peppers don’t look great either, but not as bad as the tomatoes.
The zucchini, on the other hand, has gotten huge (because, of course it did). That makes me happy because I love zucchini. I am also starting to get some yellow squash. As you can see, I got a couple of ginormous zucchinis. Jeff bought me one of those spiral slicers, so I am going to try to make zucchini spaghetti. It has way fewer calories and carbs, and is much healthier than regular pasta.
I used to always consider pasta to be good, cheap food. Especially when I could barely afford anything else. These days, however, I am being more careful about what I eat. I’m not really doing the low-carb thing anymore, but I am definitely focusing on eating clean. I got some new sauces to try from Moms Meet so I think tomorrow I will give them a whirl and see how they are.
For now though, I will share a recipe that has become popular among my friends:
Steakhouse Potato Salad
1. Cut up 3 pounds (or more) of red potatoes and boil in salted water until fork tender. Chill overnight.
2. Fry 1 pound (or more) of bacon and chop it up. Add it to chilled potatoes.
3. Chop one bunch of green onions. Add to potatoes.
4. Add shredded cheese (However much you want. I use a Colby Jack blend usually)
5. Mix together Miracle Whip and ranch salad dressing. I don’t have specific amounts. I just dump and mix.
6. Mix dressing mixture gently with potato mixture until well blended.
This always goes over well when we have people over. Last Saturday we had our annual farm party and i made 15 pounds of the stuff! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. 🙂